After reading the Surveillance Society, you will be aware of some of the privacy issues and dangers inherent in computer and mobile phone use. If you are looking for basic technical information on how to protect the privacy of your data, one of the best places to look is the Electronic Frontier Foundation’s Surveillance Self-Defence Project. There you will find advice on Defensive Technology for computers and mobile devices.
The article Mobile Surveillance – A Primer from Mobile Active provides advice on identifying and understanding the security risks involved in using mobile phones and offers some suggestions for securing your mobile communications.
The article On Locational Privacy, and How To Avoid Losing it Forever details examples of threats (travel swipe-cards, congestion pricing,mobile phones, etc,) and presents practical, implementable suggestions for minimising the harm-to-privacy aspects of the technology.
• www.epic.org, Electronic Privacy Information Center.
• www.crypto.org, Internet Privacy Coalition.
• www.eff.org, Electronic Frontier Foundation.
• www.privacy.org, privacy.org. Great information resource about privacy issues.
• www.cdt.org, Center for Democracy and Technology.